Tuesday, January 6, 2009

December leftovers

Here’s where I round up of some of my random one-pic meals from last month.

My favorite Thai restaurant, Thai Place, has a fast-foodish version of itself called Wai Wai. It has many of the same dishes, but it’s faster, cheaper, and more casual. I almost always get the Thai cashew curry, with tofu, bell peppers, carrot, broccoli, and a smattering of buttery cashews.



Coincidentally, I found myself at the real Thai Place less than a week later. I realized I had never ordered the “original” Thai cashew curry there, so I tried the real deal. It’s what I expected (in a good way)—the same ingredients in a bigger portion, with a slightly richer sauce and an extra-big handful of cashews, for $12 instead of $7. Well worth it (at both places).



Sometimes I treat myself for breakfast, and instead of my usual Fiber One and soymilk, I have this: a Western Bagel alternative bagel (whole-grain and high-fiber and -protein) slathered with peanut butter (PB Loco Sumatra cinnamon spice, in this case) and topped with sliced banana and a drizzle of agave nectar.



My favorite Mexican restaurant in KC is Dos Reales, and I like to order the black bean enchilada platter with extra rice. I accidentally forgot to say “sin queso” this time, though, so I had to resort to picking off as much cheese as I could. Not perfect, but I did well enough, and oh man was it yummy.



Last week at Jasper’s, a pretty ritzy Italian place just across State Line, I ordered the tagliatelle alla marinara, and it tasted as good as it looks. Classic, elegant, light.



Finally, at Holy Land Café recently, I got the hummus and falafel plate. Just look at that thing – it’s gigantic! There’s nothing like a sprawling mass of extra-creamy chickpea goodness, flanked by crispy crunchy little orbs of chickpea goodness. Basically, there’s nothing like chickpea goodness.



Past leftovers...
November
October

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog! I like your philosophy with regard to food - I want to become almost vegan in this new year myself. I've been a vegetarian for nearly 20 years now; veganism seems somehow impossible, but maybe if I approach it the way you have I can at least say I'm almost vegan.

    I look forward to what you post about in the coming year!

    (a note about my own blog - I haven't posted for a long while now, but I intend to start again soon. Not that you care, but I have two blogs - the other one is thus: www.cucumberist.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to hear from a kindred spirit! And congrats on your 20 years of vegetarianism.

    Thanks for reading my blog. I hope you continue to do so!

    ReplyDelete