Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mini berry cobblers

I’ve been on a cooking hiatus lately. For one thing, I’ve been eating out quite a bit (enough that I’ll already have another random-restaurant-meals post up here very shortly). In addition, I had a dessert party at my place the day after Christmas, and it’s taken me till this week to eat the leftovers, which included cupcakes, fudge, peanut butter bars, and chocolate chip cookies. ::Rubs belly::

Last night, I finally got to bake something again. After all those fatty holiday sweets, I went the light-and-simple route, and made teeny blackberry cobblers. Actually, the amount below was meant to be one single-serving cobbler, but I didn’t have a dish the right size, so I divided it between two little custard cups. Use any berries you want; raspberries or blueberries would be great, but blackberries are my personal favorite. You can double this recipe to make two small or four tiny cobblers, or quadruple it and bake it in an 8x8 pan.

1 cup fresh or (thawed) frozen berries
1/4 cup Bisquick
1T soymilk
2 tsp sugar, divided
1/2 tsp Earth Balance, softened
Pinch of salt


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the berries with 1/2 tsp of the sugar, and divide between two ungreased 4-oz. custard cups. (Alternatively, you can make the full batch in one 10-oz. custard cup.) Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl.



Stir the crust ingredients together until a soft dough forms. Divide it in half and smoosh each portion into a flat round big enough to cover the berries (don’t worry if it’s not neat or perfect). Drape it over each pile of berries, and top with a sprinkle of sugar if desired.



Place the custard cups in another small baking pan to easily transport them to and from the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the crust turns golden brown.



Allow to cool for a few minutes, then dig in while they’re still warm. You can chomp away guilt-free—I ate both of my baby cobblers, and still took in less than 200 calories.



Yield: 2 mini cobblers. Per cobbler: 87 calories, 2g fat (.3g sat), 16.5g carbs, 2.1g fiber, 0g protein.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment