Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Chocolate chip cookies

This is as straightforward as it gets, people. Here’s what you do – turn over a package of Nèstlé Tollhouse chocolate chips, sub out the butter and eggs in that recipe, and voilà! Vegan chocolate chip cookies. I made these on Christmas Eve after getting off work early at 3:30. I used white-and-milk-chocolate swirl chips, which aren’t vegan, but certainly feel free to seek out specifically vegan chocolate chips. I use shortening in chocolate chip cookies, just cuz it’s what my mom uses, but feel free to substitute Earth Balance. Also like my mom, I throw in a handful of quick-cooking oats. It helps create extra body, which is an especially good idea when making nut-free cookies (which I did, to appease the friends I’d be sharing them with).

I can hardly believe it’s taken so long, but this entry is the debut on this blog of my amazing KitchenAid mixer. Love that thing.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening or softened Earth Balance
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1T Ener-G mixed with 1/4 cup water
Handful of quick-cooking oats (optional)
1-2 cups chocolate chips




Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Beat the shortening, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until creamy.



Add the Ener-G mixture in two batches, beating well after each addition.
I’m rather proud of my camera; the shot above and the next two below were taken while the paddle was in motion, and they turned out perfectly clear.



Gradually beat in the flour mixture. When the dough comes together and clings to the beaters, it's good to go.



Stir in the oats and chocolate chips (and/or nuts, if desired). I actually don’t like many chips in mine; the cookie itself is my favorite part.



Drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheets. You can use a silicone mat or parchment paper underneath if you like.



Bake for 9 to 11 minutes (depending on cookie size and oven temperament) or until golden. Cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.



And they taste just like you remember them – melty and gooey fresh out of the oven, chewy and tender the next day. That said, I must admit that there’s something I like even better than homemade cookies, and that is...the dough. To be honest, I suspect that the real reason I ever make cookies is just to snack on the cookie dough. So don’t forget to sneak bites as you bake! The cookies last for days, but the dough is only there for a few minutes.



Yield: 3 dozen cookies. Per cookie (w/shortening and 1 cup chocolate chips): 147 calories, 7.5g fat (2.5g sat), 19g carbs, .7g fiber, 1g protein.

If you like this, you might also like...
Pumkpin oatmeal cookies

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment