Monday, October 19, 2009

Almost vegan in Barcelona I

We left the modern majesty of Madrid for big, beautiful Barcelona, crossing more scenic Spanish countryside along the way.



A gas station stop for lunch yielded BEANS! This salad of chickpeas, navy beans, lentils, rice, peas, carrots, red pepper, and corn really hit the spot.



Our first stop in Barcelona was a big deal for me. The three buildings/monuments I’ve always wanted to see the most are the pyramids, the Colosseum, and this cathedral, La Sagrada Família. It’s massive, trippy, melty, and absolutely awe-inspiring. The architect, Gaudí, was an utter genius. They’ve been building it for over 100 years, and it could be that much longer until it’s completed. I was dizzy with glee at finally getting to see this.



We drove past the 1992 Olympic stadium on our way up a hill that gave us a stunning view of Barcelona. Along with Paris and Athens, it was one of the hugest cities I visited.



We ate dinner at Moncho’s, a buffet restaurant.



Not surprisingly, there was a great deal of seafood, but there was also a very large salad bar...



...with lots of fresh veggies to choose from.



The pans of paella were impressive. I tried a little, picking around the seafood, but they were just too fishy for me.



Besides the paella samples, I also tried some tortilla, but dined mainly on vegetables, pasta, rice, and my beloved beans.



Dessert was a light chocolate-and-cream layer cake with a tart, refreshing raspberry sorbet alongside.



Barcelona is just too big to fit into one post, so check back Wednesday for the downtown food market, Park Güell, and flamenco night!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. Unbelieveable descriptions and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see these photos and descriptions of all you did, saw and ATE! Love checking back for the next "post"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I'd kill to try authentic paella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Having been out of town for awhile I decided to catch up on your blog this morning. I made the poor decision of doing so before breakfast and now I'm fammished and sure to be disappointed with whatever I decide on! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete