Friday, May 8, 2009

(Lots of) April leftovers

I’ve got tons of tasty April leftovers to share, including some from very non-vegan restaurants. First up is a Gardenburger on focaccia with a side of black beans at Red Robin, a very meat-centric burger place.



Here’s yet another wonderful dish at Po’s—udon noodles, veggies, and tofu in a curry sauce. I’m still on my streak of trying something new every time I eat there, and I have not once been let down.



Here’s one from home, a particularly yummy (and pretty) bowl of cereal. Puffed kamut and Rice Krispies with strawberries, bananas, and blackberries.



Nick ate this pasta at Bulldog (as I ate the same hummus appetizer seen here). It’s linguine and broccoli drenched in garlicky olive oil.



Another trip to Flavor of India yielded aloo gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) for me and navarathan khorma (mixed veggies in cashew sauce) for Henry, paired with the famous bread basket.



At Noodles & Company, I ate the Bangkok curry noodles with a healthy squirt of sriracha.



I took Nick to Jack Stack Barbecue for his birthday. Jack Stack is quite an institution in KC, which as you know is a BBQ-obsessed city. American food is my least favorite genre of food, and barbecue is my most-disliked subgenre. (It’s the smoke. I can’t stand the taste of smoky things. And I don’t like BBQ sauce at all.) So anyway, this was a place where I expected it to be quite a challenge to find something that I would like and that would fill me up. It turns out they were very accomodating, and I got grilled asparagus, some delicious grilled corn (butter- and parmesan cheese-free) and some steak fries (I don’t normally eat fries, but this was a good time to make an exception). I enjoyed this meal immensely, which was a very pleasant surprise. I’d eat it again for sure. See, vegan at a barbecue restaurant—it can be done!



I ate at Rudy’s Taquería with Nanny and Jackie (grandma and friend). I got a vegetarian combination plate with a pinto bean taco, a grilled vegetable fajita, a pinto bean-rice-pico de gallo burrito, more rice on the side, and some mixed veggies. It was MASSIVE, and only $8.99!



I tried Pei Wei’s lo mein noodles with tofu, which I don’t think I’ve had before. Yum.



At Mezzaluna, an authentic little hole-in-the-wall Italian place, I had the spinach gnocchi in arrabbiata sauce. It was elegant and delightful.



At P.F. Chang’s, I ate the Buddha’s Feast (steamed) two weeks in a row. It’s so simple, but so good that I craved it again just days after eating it the first time.



And finally, I’m not much of a smoothie-as-a-meal person, because they don’t tend to fill me up, but this smoothie here is the best I’ve ever made. It’s 1/4 cup Fiber One (it grinds up fine enough to blend in), 1/2 cup vanilla soymilk, 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 1 banana, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, and a spoonful of ground flaxseeds, blended together with a big handful of ice. I don’t know what made this so scrumptious, but it really was tastier than anything I’ve had at a smoothie shop.



Past leftovers...
March
February
January

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment