Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Three-bean vegan chili

I wasn’t kidding when I said I was determined to recreate the vegetarian chili I tried on the cruise. Not only did I do so, I believe that mine was even better. I based it loosely on a Vegetarian Times recipe, but tried to match the ingredients and heartiness of the cruise chili. It was a smashing success.

2T olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
4+ cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 can pinto (or kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 can navy (white) beans, rinsed and drained
2T chili powder
2T ground cumin
1T brown sugar
2 tsp dried oregano
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 cup frozen corn




My favorite thing about this chili is the odd choice of beans. It sets it apart from other chilis, and really gives it a personality of its own.
Gawd I love beans.



Heat the oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the carrot, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook 2 minutes more. Add the garlic, and cook and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant.



Add 2 cups water and all remaining ingredients except corn, and season to taste with salt and pepper.



Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the corn and a scant 1/2 cup water and simmer for 10 more minutes.



There is no better word to describe this chili than “hearty.” It’s so healthy, filling, and flavorful that it is as pleasing to an omnivore as to a vegan. Each bite is packed full of savory veggies, creamy beans, sweet corn, and a rich amalgamation of warm spices. I’m not the comfort food junkie that a lot of people are, but I can envision this chili warding off many a chill this winter.



Yield: 6-8 servings. Per serving (6): 320 calories, 5.7g fat (.7g sat), 54.2g carbs, 13.8g fiber, 15g protein.
Per serving (8): 240 calories, 4.3g fat (.5g sat), 40.6g carbs, 10.4g fiber, 11.3g protein.


If you like this, you might also like...
White bean garlic soup

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog from Fat Free. That chili is really making my mouth water! I love beans too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about trying a dash of cinnamon next time? It's my (not so) secret chili ingredient ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to be cooking this for our Super Bowl party and I'm very excited about it! Would you say 6-8 servings would be enough for 4 people and still have leftovers?

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete